Friday, April 4, 2008

Go For the Gold!!





Okay, so the Special Olympics were in town today and I was asked by one of my favorite former students to come and watch him run his 50m race today. I thought, Gosh, I've already been out so much, should I even bother to ask my principal if I can get off? And is it even really worth it." Well, I thought about it and decided to go. I am so glad that I did. I have never been so humbled in all my life. I was so blessed by the hundreds of kids and adults that were genuinely so HAPPY to be there, rainy weather and all!! Everywhere you looked there were people waving on friends, family, and students. There was more cheering than at a state football game. When I finally caught up to Kevius and his class, he was on the fence cheering on his classmates. He turned around and said, "I knew you'd be here to see me Mrs. GH, I told everybody that you not let me down." Boy did I want to just take back my earlier thoughts of not coming at all. He introduced me to all of his new friends and promised to bring back the gold. Finally it was time for his heat race. He ran the 50m in 7.82 and came in first....GOLD it was!!! I was so proud and he was so happy to have kept his promise of gold to me. He wanted me to take his picture all morning long. When I got back to school this afternoon, all of my students wanted to hear all about Kevius and how he faired. I figured I'd introduce the world to Kevius, afterall, Kevius opened my eyes to his world a little more today too.

5 comments:

Jill said...

That's so awesome! Every year in high school the cheerleaders helped with the Special Olympics. I really looked forward to it! It was so much fun to cheer them on & I've never received more hugs in my life!

Amanda said...

What a humbling story! Someone once told me that God will inconvience many for the sake of one and I see it all the time. I love to be blessed by something I really didn't want to do, just reminds me that God is in control!

Jen Whisonant said...

My aunt used to participate as an Olympian at Special Olympics in Rock Hill and every year that I could from middle school on - I helped. It was such a blessing (seemingly always in the rain) to cheer for these kids and adults...they are blessings. My aunt is too old to participate now, but every year she would ask - "jeniper, are you coming to see aunt sally?" Even when I was 18 instead of 13. =)

Joy said...

Nikki- what an awesome story! I know you are so proud of him. How wonderful it must have been to see everyone cheering these kids on...shows you what is really important in life! Thanks for sharing....that put a wonderful smile on my face!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I am so glad that you took the time to go do this! I can't begin to imagine how much it meant to Kevius and his family!

By the way, your new floors are gorgeous!